Smithers Child Care Plan
The Draft Plan Summary Infographic can be read HERE
The Draft Plan can be read HERE
Now that we have a draft Smithers Child Care Plan we’d like to share it with you for review and comment. What do you think? Does this plan accurately reflect our local child care needs?
There are three ways to participate in the draft review:
Solutions Workshop January 28th 2021 from 7 pm - 9pm: The Town of Smithers will host a solutions workshop for local organizations, childcare providers and interested stakeholders in the community to discuss ideas for community actions to address child care gaps. If you are interested in registering for this online zoom session scheduled for January 28th 2021 from 7 pm – 9pm please email Sam West, Planner for the Town of Smithers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community Poll Open February 1st - 12th, 2021: The Draft Childcare plan and a short 3 question poll will be available here and on social media. Please take a moment to share your thoughts and feedback.
- Council Presentation of the Draft Childcare Plan February 23rd at 5:30pm: Attend or watch a presentation of the draft Childcare Plan at a Committee of the Whole meeting with Smithers Council.
What’s this project about?
The purpose of the Smithers Child Care Plan is to understand local child care needs and identify actions to support space-creation targets. Specifically, the plan focuses on opportunities that can be implemented at the community level within the existing provincial structure and policies. Key questions to be answered include:
- What are Smithers child care needs?
- How many child care spaces are required over the next 10 years?
- What actions can we take as a community to meet child care space targets?
The project will be completed in four phases as follows:
- Phase 1 - Background Research (August 2020) - complete
- Phase 2 – Child Care Inventory & Child Population Projections (August/Sept 2020) - complete
- Phase 3 - Community Engagement (October 2020) - complete
- Phase 4 - Plan Development & Review (Nov 2020 – Feb 2021)
Click above to watch the Smithers Child Care Plan Video.
How can I get involved?
Community participation is key to ensuring the plan reflects the unique needs and opportunities of the Smithers community. To achieve this, the process seeks to work directly with local organizations, child care providers to identify and understand child care issues and solutions. Feedback received to date has been instrumental in shaping the development of the draft Smithers Child Care Plan.
Why is this plan needed?
The Town of Smithers recognizes that access to quality child care is an essential service that benefits children, families, local economy and the larger community. Province-wide there has been a recognized shortage of licensed child care spaces that have left many families struggling to find quality care. Locally, child care space shortages have long been a concern in Smithers.
The COVID-19 pandemic has further illuminated the vital role of access to child care to the community. Taking the opportunity now to better understand local needs and working together as a community to address child care shortages is essential to economic recovery, community growth and overall quality of life.
With Community Child Care Planning funding received from the Union of BC Municipalities (UBCM), the Town is taking a leadership role to understand and proactively plan for child care by completing a Child Care Space Creation Action Plan.
- BC’s Child Care Plan: “Child Care BC Caring Kids, Lifting Families”
- Union of BC Municipalities Child Care Planning Program
- Provincial COVID-19 Child Care Updates
- BC’s Affordable Child Care Benefit Calculator
- BC Child Care Map
Town and Media Contact:
Town of Smithers
1027 Aldous Street
P.O. Box 879 V0J 2N0
Watson Dragowska Planning