Notice of Public Opportunity: Cannabis Retail Store Business License Bylaw Revision
Smithers Town Council will review Business License Bylaw 1850 on Tuesday, January 8th, 2019, beginning at 6:30 pm in the Council Chambers of the Town Hall, 1027 Aldous Street, Smithers, BC.
Amendments to the Town of Smithers Business License Bylaw establish the baseline framework for issuing Town business licenses. Amendments include:
- Adding definitions for “cannabis” and “cannabis retail store”;
- Establishing a $250.00 annual business license fee;
- Including text to clarify that a provincial retail license is required before a Town of Smithers Business License will be issued.
The proposed Bylaw 1850, if adopted, would allow for the Town of Smithers to issue cannabis retail store licenses in the downtown area of Smithers.
Town Council had given the First, Second and Third readings of the Bylaw on November 13th, 2018, and a Public Opportunity is set for the January 8th, 2019 regular meeting.
Anyone who believes they will be affected by any of the proposed bylaw is invited to submit verbal or written comment to Council for consideration. Written submissions must be received by 1:00 pm on Monday, January 7th, 2019.
The background information can be viewed below or at the Town Office, Monday through Friday (except holidays) 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
- Council Report DEV 18-083 – November 13th, 2018
- Proposed Bylaw 1850
- Town of Smithers Cannabis Legalization Best Practices & Implementation Study 2018
For further information visit www.smithers.ca/cannabis or please contact the Development Services Department at (250) 847-1600.