Smithers New Arena
4204 Third Avenue
4202 Third Avenue
The New Arena will open on August 3rd, 2021 and the Civic Centre will open in October 2021. Please contact the Recreation Coordinator about ice bookings and dry floor bookings at email@example.com
Please consult the Recreation Programs website for a full listing of upcoming Special Events.
ICE TIME CALENDAR:
All bookings through firstname.lastname@example.org
ARENA USER FEES:
Town of Smithers Special Event Application Process
Recreation in beautiful Smithers!
Town of Smithers Special Event Application Process
- Download the Special Event Application Form for any public events held on Town of Smithers’ owned land, streets, sidewalks, parks, and/or buildings.
Liabiltiy insurance for your event can be obtained online by following the link: https://miabc.eventpolicy.ca or at your local insurance providers.
To ensure the safety of those participating event organizers might consider providing a Communicable Disease plan, although it is not mandatory unless you are organizing a festival, fair or trade show (then you MUST include a Communicable Disease Plan).
Email the completed application form, liability insurance, the Communicable Disease Plan (if required), and any additional materials to: email@example.com
Once the event is sanctioned, the Recreation Coordinator will notify the event organizer by email or phone and provide and necessary information or comments.
Please view the following additional information:
- If you have any questions, please contact the Recreation Coordinator at 250.847.1600 or firstname.lastname@example.org
BOVILL SQUARE RENTAL REQUESTS:
Bovill Square was opened in August 2013. The park is located at the corner of Main Street and Broadway Avenue. It is a public space owned/maintained by the Town of Smithers. It is meant to provide the local community a location for small and medium sized arts/music/cultural performances and special events. There is no rental fee to use the park/stage. If you would like to book the use of the Bovill Square, please fill out the "Special Event Application Form" and contact the Recreation Coordinator at 250.847.1600 or email@example.com.
Photo credit: Dan Mesec
Recreation Contract Instructor Opportunities
Are you interested in an opportunity to instruct an affordable recreation program, sport, or activity?
The Town of Smithers Recreation Department is looking to coordinate contract instructors who are passionate locals in their field and would like to lead drop-in sports, programs, or activities. We currently have facilities available for sports, workout programs, workshops etc. Postings for current and upcoming available opportunities are located below.
For new program proposals please submit a resume and a brief summary of the program to firstname.lastname@example.org
Current Recreation Contract Instructor Opportunities:
Skate Patrol Attendants
The Town of Smithers Recreation Department currently has twelve contract Skate Patrol Attendants for this season 19-20 Public Skating. The Town of Smithers Recreation Department currently runs five different Public Skate programs out of the New Arena. The Public Skate and Family Skate sessions are supervised by Skate Patrol Attendants. Skate Patrol Attendants supervise skaters prior to, during and after public skating times, ensuring participants’ safety. This position also helps participants with skate assists, skate equipment, and maintains the skate equipment room in an orderly fashion. This contract runs four days a week on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from the beginning of the season to the end of the season (October – March). This contract can be an excellent position for adolescents to acquire interpersonal skills, credibility, and diligence. It can also be a gratifying contract for adults or retirees with a passion for skating!
Billable Hours: 2hrs/session
Wage: $13.85/hour (must be 13+) $17/hour w/ First Aid (must be 16+)
Submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. The subject of your email must be the job title you are applying for.
Early Bird Workouts Fitness Instructor
The Town of Smithers Recreation Department currently has an enthusiastic fitness instructor who creates a welcoming atmosphere for all levels of fitness. You will progressively build strength, cardiovascular fitness and increase mobility. Currently, we are providing a Low Intensity Early Bird Program (as per the current COVID-19 Provincial Health Order) three days a week: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 6:00 – 7:00 am. The program location is at the Bulkley Valley Christian School gymnasium. The goal of the Early Bird program is to create an affordable way for residents to commit to being fit!
The Town of Smithers is looking for other enthusiastic instructors to provide a welcoming atmosphere for all levels of fitness. This contract would be best for any Fitness Instructor who is motivated to share their passion of health and wellness with others.
Billable Hours: determined by length of session
Wage: determined by Fitness Instructor on a cost recovery basis
Co-Ed Basketball and Volleyball Facilitator
The Town of Smithers Recreation Department is currently looking for a volleyball or basketball enthusiast to facilitate the program. The program will be located at the BVCS gymnasium, the facilitator will unlock and lock up after each session, as well as assist with setup, take down and delivery of drop-in fees to the Recreation Coordinator. The goal of the program is to help create an active and sociable community. This contract would be best for coaches or accountable enthusiasts who want to join in the fun of affordable recreation!
Billable Hours: negotiable on a cost recovery basis
Wage: determined by facilitator on a cost recovery basis
Former programs offered by the Town of Smithers Recreation Department:
• Art Create
The nature of any position with the Town of Smithers is public service. It is expected that all contractors be prepared to commit to the high standards of the department in this regard. It is essential that all contractors associated with the Town of Smithers, whether for a short term special event or an instructional program of several weeks or months in duration, recognize individual responsibility to excellence in serving the public. All contractors shall be courteous and friendly in the delivery of the program.
How to apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please review the details below.
What should be in your resume?
• Contract Information
• Previous and current education
• Skills and certifications
• Accomplishments and achievements
• Any relevant information to support the position you are applying for
Do you need to provide references?
• Please include a list of at least 3 references with your resume
TOS Recreation Contact:
Contact: Reilly Henderson, Recreation Coordinator
Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm
Town of Smithers
1027 Aldous Street | PO Box 879 | Smithers, BC V0J 2N0
Biking in Smithers
Biking is a fun and convenient way to get around Smithers. It is also one of the cleanest and most energy efficient forms of transportation. While bikes are permitted on all streets, the Bike Route Map provides a system of connected and convenient routes to get around town. For example, the entire length of 3rd Avenue (2.5 km) is a designated bike route with a reduced 30 km/hr speed limit, bicycle signage and painted sharrows (share the road symbols) to increase cyclist safety and driver awareness.
Please click on the photo to watch the "Tips for Safe Cycling"
Bike Safety Tips & Regulations
It is important to remember that the Motor Vehicle Act and Town bylaws apply to cyclists too.
- Ride on the road (not on the sidewalk) and wear your helmet at all times.
- Make sure your bike and helmet are in good working order (especially the brakes).
- Have front and rear lights on your bike if you ride at dusk, night or in low visibility conditions.
- Keep a safe distance from the curb and parked cars.
- Ride predictably, in a straight line, and be defensive. Remember, a conflict between a bicycle and a vehicle usually results in injury to the cyclist.
- Stop for stop signs and red lights, and always yield to pedestrians.
- Be alert and careful at intersections, where most collisions happen.
- Always ride with traffic, on the right side of the road.
- Read BC Bike Sense, a comprehensive BC guide to operating a bike in traffic.
The Perimeter Trail is the main multi-use pathway in Smithers. It forms a 10 km circular trail around the edge of Town with connections to trails and recreation areas beyond the Town boundary. All forms of non-motorized transportation, including bikes, are permitted on multi-use pathways. Remember that you are sharing the path with others. Reduce your speed where appropriate and when passing other path users, ring your bell or call out to alert them.
Highway 16 Intersections
Use care when crossing the busy intersections of Hwy 16. Either ride in the lane or if you are not comfortable, dismount and walk your bike across at the crosswalk. The routes on the Bike Route Map highlight the preferred intersections for cyclists.
Public bike racks are available throughout downtown Smithers, parks and at public facilities. Remember to always lock up your bike!
Stop by the Prevention and Community Safety Office at 3772B 1st Avenue for free bike safety pointers. All ages are welcome. Free helmet replacements and high visibility accessories are available as supplies last.
2021 Fairgrounds Schedule of Events:
Click here to download:
- 2021 Fairgrounds Schedule of Events *Updated September 20, 2021
- Fairgrounds Event Form (COVID-19 Update) *Updated July 2021
- Routine Event Liability Information Sheet
Fairground User and Licensees Information:
- Annual Letter to Users and Licensees of the Fall Fairgrounds
- Open Burning
- Installation and/or Modification of Fall Fairgrounds Water and Sewer Systems
- Building Permit Requirements
- Building Permit Application Guide (adapted for Fall Fairgrounds' license areas)
- Bylaw No. 1609 - Fireworks
Smithers RV Storage:
Click here to learn more about Winter Storage of Recreational Vehicles and Boats.
Town of Smithers Fairgrounds Business and Land Use Plan Update
- Final Report - Fairgrounds Business and Land Use Plan 2013
- Report PR13-11 "Fairgrounds Business and Land Use Plan Update"
- Bob Yates Delegation Presentation to Council regarding the Fairgrounds Business and Land Use Plan
- Bob Yates Delegation to Council regarding the Fairgrounds Business and Land Use Plan, excerpt from CICK Radio 93.9
The Town of Smithers owns a fantastic parcel of land, which is utilized by many groups from Smithers, the surrounding communities of the Bulkley Valley and from around the province. The Fall Fair Management Committee meets three times per year and oversees the booking requests and capital upgrades requests for the Town owned property.
License agreements with the Bulkley Valley Agricultural & Industrial Association, the Northern Saddle Club, and Lease agreement with the Bulkley Valley Bowmen (Archery Grounds) provide the opportunity for local groups to offer workshops, rodeos, training sessions, children's activities, and more.
The Smithers Fairgrounds are home to the Bulkley Valley Exhibition (Fall Fair), the Bulkley Valley Folk Music Festival (Midsummer Festival), the 3 in 1 Breed Show, and the Annual Archery Shoot. All of these events gather together thousands of participants and spectators from all over British Columbia and Western Canada.
Located at 2701 Pacific Street, corner of Tatlow Road and Pacific Street.
Rodeo Ring at the Fall Fairgrounds.
Hunter Jumper / Dressage Ring at the Fall Fairgrounds.
Riverside Municipal Campground
Riverside Municipal Campground & RV Park will be open from May 15th – September 30th, 2021
As of Saturday, July 10th our shared bathroom facilities, our tenting area, and our cookhouse facility will be open. Our shared bathroom facilities are for campers only. The Cookhouse is free to use for campers and a daily rate applies for private bookings.
We are open to all Canadian residents at this time. All current COVID-19 Provincial Health Officer orders apply to campers at the time of their stay.
Please follow this link to book your stay: RESERVATION LINK
Please note: You MUST make an account to complete the online booking process. If you are having trouble booking reservations online or need a refund as per our policy below, please call the Town of Smithers office at 250-847-1600. Office hours are week days from 8:30am – 4:30pm. Closed all Statutory Holidays. There are first come first serve sites available, reservations are not always needed but they are recommended.
- Fees are refundable with three days' notice prior to arrival, otherwise you forfeit your fees
- Our change/cancellation policies are in effect for the season, and visitors must agree to these policies at the time of booking.
- Campsites are on a first-come first-served basis, unless reservations have been made online, by telephone or three days in advance of check-in.
- Fees are due upon registration.
2021 Park Rates Taxes Included:
|Campsite with Electrical, Water and Sewer Connection||$37.90/site|
|Per Tent in unserviced tenting area||$24.20|
|Riverside Cookhouse /booking*||$35.80|
|1 Bundle of Firewood||$8.00|
|3 Bundles of Firewood||$20.00|
* Riverside Cookhouse Fees are for event use, not fees charged to campers.
We accept Cash/Debit/Credit Card.
We do not accept cheques or American Express.
Thank you for choosing Smithers Riverside Municipal Campground & RV Park as your place to stay, play, relax and enjoy.
The Riverside Municipal Campground & RV Park offers spectacular scenic views of the Hudson Bay Mountain, and the captivating Bulkley River. The Riverside Municipal Campground & RV Park is surrounded by connecting trails to enjoy by foot or bicycle around the beautiful town of Smithers. The 13-kilometer Perimeter Trail is a scenic community trail linking together the inspiring beauty of the creeks, parks, and landscapes in the community. Many of the best scenic highlights are found along the Bulkley River and throughout the Riverside Park. The campground is located adjacent to the Bulkley River at 3843-19th Avenue. The park, operated by the Town of Smithers, is a safe and peaceful place to relax and enjoy wonderful views, a stunning river, and a friendly approach to camping. Pets are welcome on leashes.
When traveling west on Highway 16 (towards Prince Rupert), turn right onto Main Street. Follow the Riverside campground signs for 1.3 kilometres and make a left hand turn at the campground sign on 19th Avenue.
- Shower/flush toilets
- Nature trails - beautiful views of the Hudson Bay Mountains and the Babine Mountains
- Bike trails
- 15 minute walk from downtown shopping and recreation facilities
- Electrical (15 amp and 30 amp) and water and sewer hook-ups
- River fishing on the Bulkley River
- Picnic Shelter
- Food storage lockers in tenting area (must provide own lock)
- View the Campground Map here
- Please remember - motor vehicles are not allowed on any of the Town owned sport fields or trails (ie. Snowmobiles, ATV's and dirt bikes).
3843 19th Avenue, Smithers, BC
For assistance or inquiries, please call: 250-847-1600 or email: email@example.com. Monday to Friday; 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Recreation, Parks & Culture
The Town of Smithers has the following facilities available for public rentals:
- Bovill Square
- Chandler Park Fields
- Elks Park Ball Diamonds
- Riverside Municipal RV Park & Campground
- Special Events Application Process
For a detailed schedule of rental fees and information, please see:
Playgrounds & Parks
Town of Smithers - Playgrounds & Parks Guide
- Click here to view the PDF document of the Town of Smithers - Playgrounds & Parks Guide
The Town of Smithers maintains two public tennis courts located on Montreal Street. No fee.
Trail length: 13km
Difficulty: Easy – Family friendly!
The 13km Perimeter Trail is a scenic trail which connects neighbourhoods, streets, rivers, and parks together within the community of Smithers. This trail circles the Town, connecting the north end of town near the Bulkey River, to the south end of town which lies below Hudson Bay Mountain. The trail provides viewing benches to watch the beautiful surrounding scenery, while meandering through local parks which provide the use of outhouses, picnic tables and opportunities for various diverse types of recreation. Many of the best scenic highlights are found along the Bulkley River and throughout Riverside Park. Please see the map below to find out how to access this trail.
View from trail section along Railway Avenue.
|View from trail section around wetlands off of Pacific Avenue.|
|View from trail section at Riverside Municipal Campground along the Bulkley River.||
Another view from trail section at Riverside Municipal Campground along the Bulkley River
View from trail section at Highway 16 and Chicken Creek on the west side of the Town of Smithers.
View from trail section at Highway 16 and Dahlie Creek on east side of the Town of Smithers.
Community Recreation Directory
To list your non-profit recreation group or edit your information, please contact Reilly Henderson, Recreation Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
- BV Disc Golf Association
- Bulkley Valley Farmers Market
- Bulkley Valley Folk Music Society
- BV Nordic Centre
- BV Otters Swim Club
- Bulkley Valley Pickleball
- BV Regional Pool and Recreation Centre
- BV Soccer Society
- Bulkley Valley Tennis
- Bulkey Valley Youth Sport Foundation
- Creative Roots Performing Arts
- Dze Ḻ K’ant Friendship Centre
- Music Smithers
- Northern Roots Community Garden
- Northern Saddle Club
- Office of the Wet’suwet’en
- Shogun Dojo Martial Arts
- Smithers 1st Group - Scouts Canada
- Smithers Bikes
- Smithers Curling Club
- Smithers Figure Skating Club
- Smithers Judo
- Smithers Junior Golf
- Smithers Junior Softball
- Smithers Minor Hockey
- Smithers Mountain Bike Association
- Smithers Saltos Gymnastics Club
- Smithers Ski and Snowboard Club
- Smithers Ultimate Frisbee
Recreation Funding Opportunities
Athletics 4 Kids Application
|Kidsport Canada Application|
OUTDOOR FITNESS PROGRAM - FALL 2021
RECREATION REGISTRATION PAYMENT
We accept payment by cash, cheque, Interac, Visa or Mastercard. If you are paying by cheque, please make it payable to the Town of Smithers. There will be a $40.00 charge levied for NSF cheques.
No refunds will be granted once a program commences unless a class is cancelled or in exceptional cases involving sickness or relocation. In these cases refunds will be pro rated. Contact the Recreation, Parks, and Culture Department if you require more information on our refund policy.
Registration and Programming Policies
- Registration is on a first come, first served basis.
- Payment in full must be made at the time of registration.
- No refunds will be granted unless a class is cancelled or in exceptional cases involving sickness or relocation. In these cases refunds will be pro rated.
- The Recreation, Parks, and Culture Department reserves the right to cancel any course which does not meet the required minimum registration.
- Classes will not be held on statutory holidays.
Town of Smithers
Box 879, Smithers BC, V0J 2N0