Smithers New Arena
4204 Third Avenue
4206 Third Avenue
The arenas are now closed for the 2018-19 season.
- Smithers Minor Hockey Association
- BV Kids Christian Hockey League
- Smithers Figure Skating Club
- Smithers Oldtimers Hockey
- Rubber Puckers
- Womens Hockey
- CN Rusty Rails,
- Smithers Recreational Hockey League
ARENA USER FEES:
Biking in Smithers
Biking is a fun and convenient way to get around Smithers. It is also one of the cleanest and most energy efficient forms of transportation. While bikes are permitted on all streets, the Bike Route Map provides a system of connected and convenient routes to get around town. For example, the entire length of 3rd Avenue (2.5 km) is a designated bike route with a reduced 30 km/hr speed limit, bicycle signage and painted sharrows (share the road symbols) to increase cyclist safety and driver awareness.
Please click on the photo to watch the "Tips for Safe Cycling"
Bike Safety Tips & Regulations
It is important to remember that the Motor Vehicle Act and Town bylaws apply to cyclists too.
- Ride on the road (not on the sidewalk) and wear your helmet at all times.
- Make sure your bike and helmet are in good working order (especially the brakes).
- Have front and rear lights on your bike if you ride at dusk, night or in low visibility conditions.
- Keep a safe distance from the curb and parked cars.
- Ride predictably, in a straight line, and be defensive. Remember, a conflict between a bicycle and a vehicle usually results in injury to the cyclist.
- Stop for stop signs and red lights, and always yield to pedestrians.
- Be alert and careful at intersections, where most collisions happen.
- Always ride with traffic, on the right side of the road.
- Read BC Bike Sense, a comprehensive BC guide to operating a bike in traffic.
The Perimeter Trail is the main multi-use pathway in Smithers. It forms a 10 km circular trail around the edge of Town with connections to trails and recreation areas beyond the Town boundary. All forms of non-motorized transportation, including bikes, are permitted on multi-use pathways. Remember that you are sharing the path with others. Reduce your speed where appropriate and when passing other path users, ring your bell or call out to alert them.
Highway 16 Intersections
Use care when crossing the busy intersections of Hwy 16. Either ride in the lane or if you are not comfortable, dismount and walk your bike across at the crosswalk. The routes on the Bike Route Map highlight the preferred intersections for cyclists.
Public bike racks are available throughout downtown Smithers, parks and at public facilities. Remember to always lock up your bike!
Stop by the Prevention and Community Safety Office at 3772B 1st Avenue for free bike safety pointers. All ages are welcome. Free helmet replacements and high visibility accessories are available as supplies last.
2019 Fairgrounds Schedule of Events:
Click here to download:
- 2019 Fairgrounds Schedule of Events *updated April 8, 2019
- Fairgrounds Event Form
- Routine Event Liability Information Sheet
Fairground User and Licensees Information:
Click here to download:
Letter to Users and Licensees of the Fall Fairgrounds
Installation and/or Modification of Fall Fairgrounds Water and Sewer Systems
Building Permit Requirements
Building Permit Application Guide (adapted for Fall Fairgrounds' license areas)
Bylaw No. 1609 - Fireworks
Smithers RV Storage:
Click here to learn more about Winter Storage of Recreational Vehicles and Boats.
Town of Smithers Fairgrounds Business and Land Use Plan Update
- Final Report - Fairgrounds Business and Land Use Plan 2013
- Report PR13-11 "Fairgrounds Business and Land Use Plan Update"
- Bob Yates Delegation Presentation to Council regarding the Fairgrounds Business and Land Use Plan
- Bob Yates Delegation to Council regarding the Fairgrounds Business and Land Use Plan, excerpt from CICK Radio 93.9
The Town of Smithers owns a fantastic parcel of land, which is utilized by many groups from Smithers, the surrounding communities of the Bulkley Valley and from around the province. The Fall Fair Management Committee meets three times per year and oversees the booking requests and capital upgrades requests for the Town owned property.
License agreements with the Bulkley Valley Agricultural & Industrial Association, the Northern Saddle Club, and Lease agreement with the Bulkley Valley Bowmen (Archery Grounds) provide the opportunity for local groups to offer workshops, rodeos, training sessions, children's activities, and more.
The Smithers Fairgrounds are home to the Bulkley Valley Exhibition (Fall Fair), the Bulkley Valley Folk Music Festival (Midsummer Festival), the 3 in 1 Breed Show, and the Annual Archery Shoot. All of these events gather together thousands of participants and spectators from all over British Columbia and Western Canada.
Located at 2701 Pacific Street, corner of Tatlow Road and Pacific Street.
Rodeo Ring at the Fall Fairgrounds.
Hunter Jumper / Dressage Ring at the Fall Fairgrounds.
Riverside Municipal Campground
Riverside Municipal Campground is now closed until May 15, 2019.
Online reservations start February 1, 2019. Click here to reserve.
For any inquiries please call 250-847-1649.
Please click to view the "2019 Riverside Municipal RV Park & Campground - Information Brochure"
We invite all campers to stay at the peaceful Riverside Park Municipal campground located adjacent to the Bulkley River at 3843-19th Avenue. The park, operated by the Town of Smithers, is a safe and quiet place to relax and enjoy wonderful views, a beautiful river, and a laid back approach to camping. Pets are welcome on leashes.
When traveling west on Highway 16 (towards Prince Rupert), turn right onto Main Street. Follow the Riverside campground signs for 1.3 kilometres and make a left hand turn at the campground sign on 19th Avenue.
- Shower/flush toilets
- Nature trails - beautiful views of the Hudson Bay Mountains and the Babine Mountains
- Bike trails
- 15 minute walk from downtown shopping and recreation facilities
- Electrical (15 amp and 30 amp) and water and sewer hook-ups
- River fishing on the Bulkley River
- Picnic Shelter
- Food storage lockers in tenting area (must provide own lock)
- View the Campground Map here
- Please remember - motor vehicles are not allowed on any of the Town owned sport fields or trails (ie. Snowmobiles, ATV's and dirt bikes).
The campground is open between May 15, 2019 to October 15, 2019.
To all of our visitors - Thank you for choosing Smithers as your place to stay, play, relax and enjoy.
2019 Park Rates:
|Campsite with Electrical, Water and Sewer Connection||$34/site|
|Per Tent in unserviced tenting area||$21/per tent|
|Riverside Cookhouse /booking*||$32|
* Riverside Cookhouse Fees are for event use, not fees charged to campers.
Recreation, Parks & Culture
We are currently transitioning to a new registration system. Please check back soon for updates.
Laura Aspenlind, Recreation Coordinator
The Town of Smithers has the following facilities available for public rentals:
- Bovill Square
- Chandler Park Fields
- Elks Park Ball Diamonds
- Ranger Park Meeting Room
- Riverside Municipal RV Park & Campground
For a detailed schedule of rental fees and information, please see:
Playgrounds & Parks
Town of Smithers - Playgrounds & Parks Guide
- Click here to view the PDF document of the Town of Smithers - Playgrounds & Parks Guide
The Town of Smithers maintains two public tennis courts located on Montreal Street. No fee.
View from trail section along Railway Avenue.
|View from trail section around wetlands off of Pacific Avenue.|
|View from trail section at Riverside Municipal Campground along the Bulkley River.||
Another view from trail setion at Riverside Municipal Campground along the Bulkley River
View from trail section at Highway 16 and Chicken Creek on the west side of the Town of Smithers.
View from trail section at Highway 16 and Dahlie Creek on east side of the Town of Smithers.
Community Recreation Directory
To list your non-profit recreation group or edit your information, please contact Laura Aspenlind, Recreation Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
- BV Disc Golf Association
- BV Nordic Centre
- BV Regional Pool and Recreation Centre
- BV Soccer Society
- Northern Saddle Club
- Smithers Curling Club
- Smithers Figure Skating Club
- Smithers Minor Hockey
- Smithers Saltos Gymnastics Club
Event Requests and Bovill Square
If you are planning on holding an event on Town of Smithers property, please ensure an Event Request Form is submitted at least 30 days prior to the event. If you have any questions, please contact the Recreation Coordinator at 250.847.1600 or email@example.com
BOVILL SQUARE RENTAL REQUESTS:
Bovill Square was opened in August 2013. The park is located at the corner of Main Street and Broadway Avenue. It is a public space owned/maintained by the Town of Smithers. It is meant to provide the local community a location for small and medium sized arts/music/cultural performances and special events. There is no rental fee to use the park/stage. If you would like to book the use of the Bovill Square, please fill out the "Bovill Square Rental Request Form" and contact the Department of Recreation, Parks, and Culture at phone: 250.847.1600.
2016 BOVILL SQUARE EVENT SCHEDULE - Click here to view
Photo credit: Dan Mesec
Recreation Funding Opportunities
REGISTER NOW: Pickleball
REGISTER: Turf Tots Soccer
REGISTER NOW - Early Bird
REGISTER NOW - Volleyball
REGISTER NOW - Choose to Move
REGISTER NOW - BASKETBALL
To register for programs, contact the Recreation Coordinator email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are always interested in your skills and ideas. If you would like to teach a program or have a great idea for a new program contact the Recreation Department at 250-847-1600.