A secondary suite refers to an additional dwelling unit located within a single family home that complies with the BC Building Code and Town bylaws. In 2011, Smithers Council adopted a new Secondary Suites Policy and subsequent bylaw admendments in order to:
- Encourage the development of secondary suites as a means of increasing housing affordability and choice in Smithers;
- Improve the health and safety level of existing secondary suites to ensure renters have access to safe and healthy housing options;
- Provide a consistent and transparent approach to the legalization and enforcement of non-compliant secondary suites.
If you are interested in constructing a new secondary suite within your home or bring an existing secondary suite into compliance, please review the following:
FREE VOLUNTARY INSPECTIONS UNTIL DECEMBER 31ST, 2016! Smithers Council has waived the voluntary inspection fee of $200.00 for existing suites until December 31st, 2016. The voluntary inspection will determine the necessary building upgrades to bring your suite into compliance with Town bylaws and the BC Building Code.
- CMHC's Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program for Secondary/Garden Suites.
- Canadian Revenue Agency - Rental Income
- Residential Tenancy Branch
- BC Hydro Power Smart
For more information on secondary suites, please contact the Development Services Department at 250-847-1600.