2020 By-Election: Why Vote By Mail?
Why vote by mail:
Help us prevent the spread of COVID-19 by voting by mail ballot to reduce congestion at the polls. October weather can be cold and unpredictable, and with increased line-up lengths for safe social distance, voters will be waiting outside in the cold, and possible rain or snow. Voting by mail will increase voter convenience and keep both Election Officials and voters safe.
How to vote by mail:
- Complete and submit an application before Wednesday, September 30, 2020. Applications can be found on the Town of Smithers website or at Town Hall, 1027 Aldous Street. They can be returned via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at Town Hall.
- You will receive your mail ballot package by mail prior to October 17, 2020.
- Follow the instructions to complete and return your package.
- Mail the return envelope or deliver to Town Hall, 1027 Aldous Street, prior to 4:00 p.m. on Friday, October 16, 2020, or to Walnut Park Elementary School, 4092 Mountainview Drive, prior to 8:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 17, 2020.
How we protect your privacy:
The security and privacy of each ballot is of the utmost importance, and will be maintained with the following process:
- Once your package has been received and approved by the Chief Election Officer (CEO), you will be recorded in the system as voted. Your certification envelope containing your secrecy envelope (which contains your ballot) will be stored in a secure location.
- On general voting day, Saturday, October 17, 2020, the Deputy Election Officer will open your certification envelope and pass the secrecy envelope containing the ballot to the CEO.
- The CEO will then open the secrecy envelope and feed the ballot into the voting machine. Please note that the CEO will not know the identity of the voter as the secrecy envelope is unidentifiable.