Seniors Water and Sewer Fee Exemption
The Town of Smithers offers Seniors over the age of 65 an exemption from their annual water/sewer fees, under the Provisions of Bylaw 1886. Only those senior citizens eligible to claim the current year's "over 65" Provincial homeowner grant are eligible for an annual water/sewer user fee exemption. Only those seniors charged a water/sewer user fee on their annual tax notice are eligible for an annual water/sewer user fee exemption.
Only Seniors, who are eligible for the "65 years of age and older" Provincial Home Owner grant and who sign a declaration stating that one, or all, of the following 3 criteria applies to them,
- Eligible for a Federal Seniors' Guaranteed Income Supplement;
- Receive a Federal Seniors' Guaranteed Income Supplement; and/or
- Undergoing financial hardship and in need of financial assistance;
will receive a 100% exemption off of the regular residential water/sewer user fees.
The process to claim the senior's annual water/sewer user fee exemption is as follows:
- Each year, when the senior citizen claims their annual "over 65 years of age" Provincial homeowner grant, they can claim their exemption from the annual residential water/sewer fees shown on their tax notice.
- A signed and completed Senior Citizen Water/Sewer Exemption Claim Form is to be submitted to the Smithers Town Office by the property tax due date; and a reduction will be made to the senior citizen's current total property taxes owing by the annual water/sewer residential user fee senior citizen exemption claimed.
Home Owner Grant for Seniors