Bulkley Valley Arts and Culture Centre Pre-Feasibility Study
The Town of Smithers is completing a “Bulkley Valley Arts & Culture Centre Pre-Feasibility Study” to identify tenants, uses and programming for a new Bulkley Valley Arts & Culture Centre to be located in the historic Central Park of Smithers. The study will also be used to create a clear picture for the overall vision and concept for a new Bulkley Valley Arts and Culture Centre.
October 2017 Update: Join Smithers’ Mayor and Council in a Town Hall Forum on October 19, 2017 (6:30 pm at Prestige Hudson Bay Lodge) to discuss the present and future of key arts and culture facilities.
September 19, 2017 Update: At this public meeting, Council met with potential future tenant groups and discussed the findings from the pre-feasibility study and next steps.
August 22, 2017 Update: A public meeting was held to discuss next steps in the planning process. Council directed Staff to schedule a meeting with potential future tenants (September 19, 2017) and a Town Hall Public Forum later this fall (October 19, 2017).
August 8, 2017 Update:
June 20, 2017 Update: A public presentation to Town Council was held at Council's Chambers on June 20, 2017 at 6:30 pm. Based on feedback to date, the consultants presented an analysis, which considered three sites in Smithers: 1) Central Park; 2) Bovill Square, and; 3) Veteran's Park and current Library site.
- Staff Report to Council
- Public Presentation by the consultants
- Concept Plans Display Boards & Comment Form (Please submit completed forms by June 23, 2017)
May 2017 Update: A public open house was held at the Farmer's Market on May 20th, 2017, that asked the community members to comment on the workshop deliberations (ideas and relationships of uses within the proposed facility) as well as, share their vision for the park itself. Please click here for more information.
- May 20, 2017 Public Open House Display Boards
Background Documents & Links:
- RFP: Smithers Arts & Culture Centre Pre-Feasibility Study Terms of Reference
- Map of Central Park
- Town of Smithers Zoning Map
- Town of Smithers Official Community Plan
- 2015-2018 Smithers Council Strategic Priorities
- Downtown Charrette Final Report (2008)
- Community & Corporate Energy and GHG Emissions Reduction Plans (2012)
- Smithers Public Library Expansion Project Final Report (2009)
- Smithers Multi-Purpose Visitor Centre Study (2006)
- Central Park Development Plan (2002)