Media Release - Council Approves Terminal Design & Budget for the Airport Modernization Project
Town Council Approves a Terminal Design and a New Budget for the Airport Modernization Project
For Immediate Release - December 14, 2016
Smithers Town Council has approved the design and budget for the Airport Terminal Modernization Project from three options presented by Town Staff and Moore Wilson Architects Inc.
"Council and I are pleased to have reached this important milestone in the Terminal Modernization Project," said Smithers Mayor Taylor Bachrach. "We are confident that the plan we have chosen will serve our community well and we look forward to working with the project team as the project proceeds towards construction."
Council is pleased that the design achieves its objectives, including
• Expanded building capacity and streamlined flow;
• An inspiring design approach that utilizes wood and showcases mountain views;
• Additional washrooms and improved washroom accessibility.
With a high-performance building envelope, geo-exchange system and LED lighting, the selected design option reduces energy use by 34 percent and greenhouse gas emissions by 48 percent.
Funding for the approved $8,170,000 budget includes:
• $4,000,000 from Federal Gas Tax Grant;
• $3,000,000 from debt financing, serviced from the Airport's Capital Infrastructure Reserve, and;
• $1,170,000 from other grants and the Town's Airport Infrastructure Reserve.
There are no plans to increase property taxes or raise Airport Improvement Fees to pay for the Airport Terminal Modernization Project.
Moore Wilson will now proceed with finalizing detailed designs and contract documents in accordance with the following estimated timeline:
• Design Development Completion December 30, 2016
• Construction Documents Completion March 31, 2017
• Tender Completion April 28, 2017
• Construction Commences May/June, 2017
Please direct enquiries regarding the Modernization Project to:
Rob Blackburn, Airport Manager
Phone: (250) 847-3664