Residential Curbside Recycling
To view the 2017 Recycling Schedule, please view our
Solid Waste (Garbage) / Curbside Recycling Collection & Alternate Statutory Holiday Dates webpage.
Recycle Coach App:
- The Town of Smithers Recycle Coach™ app helps you quickly find what you need to know about waste & recycling, including your personalized collection schedule.
- One popular feature is reminders – how cool is that to get a helpful reminder the evening before recycling pick-up?
- The Recycle Coach™ app also asks the provocative question ‘What type of recycler are you?’. This 3-minute quiz provides you with a comprehensive evaluation based on several criteria, including knowledge about what should and should not be recycled in the Town of Smithers.
- Have you ever wondered how to get rid of or recycle an item? If so, you’re not alone, and the resources available through the Recycle Coach™ app will guide you to what is collected through curbside recycling and where your other items can be dropped off.
- The Recycle Coach™ app is free to download and it is available from the iTunes Store and Google Play. There is a quick one time set-up process to personalize the information to where you live that includes setting up your personalized pick-up and event schedule.
Reducing Recycling Contaminants Competition:
- The Town of Smithers has engaged in a competition with the District of Port Hardy and the District of Summerland to challenge residents to reduce the amount of contaminants collected in Recycle BC curbside recycling.
- Audits were performed in July 2017 by Recycle BC to be compared with numbers in November 2017 for Recycle BC to assess the winner.
- Reduce the amount of materials collected in curbside, such as FOAM PACKAGING, GLASS, AND PLASTIC BAGS. Find a full list of accepted materials and drop-off resources on the Recycle Coach App and website.
Recycle Themed Workshops with the Smithers Art Gallery:
- Recycled Art – from Trash to Treasure!, Sunday October 15, 1-4pm. Fee- $30 members / $35 non-members, art materials supplied. Instructor: Shannon Goodhead
Come to the Art Gallery to work with local artist Shannon Goodhead to repurpose your previously loved items! Turn dead lightbulbs into tree ornaments, old greetings cards into wine charms, or tea cups into fairy gardens. Or brainstorm some other way to turn your trash into a treasure.
- Collagraph Printmaking with Recycled Items, Saturday October 21, 9am-1pm. Fee-$40 members / $45 non-members, art materials supplied. Instructor: Lauren Bell.
Using recycled objects develop a collaged textured plate to transcribe a design using intaglio and roller methods of printmaking. Students will get to experiment with different textures, applications, and printing methods. Everyone will leave with their printmaking collagraph plate as well as a few prints.
Please click to view the following PDF documents:
- MMBC Depot Opening in Smithers - August 22, 2014
- Trash Talk: Ways to Reduce Garbage and Garbage Odours - June 26, 2014
- "Detailed Materials List" of items that can be recycled - May 28, 2014
- "Frequently Asked Questions" regarding what can be recycled. *updated June 3, 2014
Recycling Cart Instructions - April 10, 2014
Download the following "Smithers Recycles" PDF documents:
Materials that will be accepted in the Town of Smithers Curbside Recycling Program under two (2) main categories:
- Paper Recycling
- Container Recycling
Materials that WILL NOT be accepted in the Town of Smithers Curbside Recycling Program, but may be recycled at Drop-off Depots only:
- Glass Bottles
- Glass Jars
- Plastic Bags and Overwrap Plastic
Recycle BC (formerly Multi-Material BC)
Download the following "Recycle BC" PDF documents:
- Multi-Material BC Facts dated March 19, 2014
- Multi-Material BC Fact Sheet dated March 18, 2014
- Multi-Material BC News Release dated February 27, 2014
- Multi-Material BC Fact Sheet
- Multi-Material BC - Green by Nature - Backgrounder
More informaiton on recycling can be found - Reduce, Reuse, Recycle Information Sheet
Any questions, please contact the Town of Smithers
Phone: 250-847-1600 or Email: email@example.com