Business Signage

In Smithers, signs are regulated by the Town of Smithers Sign Bylaw, which was updated in 2018. For all permanent signs and some temporary signs, an approved Sign Permit is first required prior to putting up, relocating or altering a sign.

Other Approvals:

  • Highway Encroachment Application is required for projecting, canopy, fascia or hanging signs permitted to locate above a road right-of-way (i.e. sidewalk). Include a drawing that illustrates a minimum 2.4 m vertical clearance above grade and maximum horizontal projection of 0.6 m to the curb line. In addition, a certificate of insurance with the Town of Smithers named as “Additional Insured” is required to a minimum of  $2,000,000.
  • Highway License of Occupation Application is required for Sandwich Board Signs or any temporary sign over 1.5 sq.m (16 sq.ft.) permitted to be located on a right-of-way (i.e. sidewalk). Include a sketch that indicates a minimum 1.5 m unimpeded pedestrian access width is provided and maintained. In addition, a certificate of insurance with the Town of Smithers named as “Additional Insured” is required to a minimum of $2,000,000.
  • Building Permit Application for signs that require a Building Permit. This includes all freestanding signs and any sign required to obtain a permit by the Town of Smithers Building Inspector.
  • Development Variance Permit is required if your signs do not conform to the Sign Bylaw regulations. Note that each application is evaulated on a case-by-case basis with Town Council making the decision on whether or not to approve variance applications. 

Useful Links:

Please contact the Development Services Department at 250-847-1600 if you have any questions regarding the above.