Chief Administrative Officer
Surrounded by mountain ranges, Smithers is a northern gem, nestled at the base of Hudson Bay Mountain. With a population of 5400, it is a service hub for a surrounding region comprising a population of approximately 15,000.
Residents enjoy four seasons of recreational activities. In addition to a ski hill within a half an hour of town, the region offers world-class fishing, backcountry and cross-country skiing, hunting, golfing. The area also has alpine trails for hiking and horseback riding coupled with a lively music scene, Art Gallery, Museum, theatrical performances, and an energetic sporting community.
Smithers is situated within the traditional territory of the Wet’suwet’en people. The Town
enjoys a positive, collaborative relationship with the Wet’suwet’en Hereditary Chiefs.
Reporting to the Town’s Mayor and Town Council, you will lead a 65-member team to consistently deliver high-quality municipal services to the community’s residents and implement Council’s strategic priorities.
As the ideal candidate, you will have strong academic credentials, a background in public administration or business administration, and a proven track record of accomplishments at the executive level. You have either served as the chief administrator of a smaller local government or as a senior manager of a larger one. Your sense of humour and communication skills make you a great team player; and you are ready to bring the Town your strategic thinking, financial literacy, and sound political judgement.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- Post-secondary education in a relevant field such as public administration, business administration, commerce, law, etc.
- Three to five years’ experience at a senior management level in a local government environment, preferably as a CAO or comparable experience
- Experience working with First Nations
- Strong team leadership, analytical and organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Discretion, tact, and good judgment
- Willingness to be innovative, creative and entrepreneurial
- Demonstrated ability to work in a political environment, balance competing interests and function in a multi-stakeholder environment
- Ability to interpret and apply legislation, regulations and policies and to provide appropriate advice; and
- Ability to foster a positive, collaborative, and respectful work environment.
The annual salary range for this position will range between $164, 925 - $174, 925, and will be commensurate with your qualifications and experience.
To apply, forward your resume and cover letter to Tall Cedars Search & Recruitment. A Supplementary Package can be obtained by request from the Consultant, which includes further details about the position and the community.
Flo Follero-Pugh, Tall Cedars Search & Recruitment