Certain properties in the Town of Smithers are designated as Development Permit Areas (DPA). The Official Community Plan contains guidelines and requirements for the two types of DPAs in Smithers: Environmental and Form & Character. For properties located within a DPA, a Development Permit (DP) may be required prior to subdividing land or obtaining a Building Permit.
- Gerneral Overview of Development Permit Areas (excerpt from the Official Community Plan)
- Development Process Flowchart
Form & Character Development Permit Areas
- Form and Character DPA Overview & Guidelines (excerpt from the Official Community Plan)
- Map of Form and Character DPA
- Form and Character DP Application Guide
- Form and Character DP Application
- Alpine Theme Guidelines
Environmental Development Permit Areas
- Environmental DPA Overview & Guideline (excerpt from the Official Community Plan)
- Map of Environmental DPA
- Environmental DP Application Guide
- Environmental DP Application
Helpful resources regarding development on flood hazard lands
The B.C. Government has prepared the following guidance and planning documents to assist local governments, land use mangers and approving officers in developing land use management plans and making subdivision approval decisions in flood hazard areas:
- Designated Floodplain Areas – Skeena Region
- Flood Hazard Map User Guide
- Flood Hazard Area Land Use Management Guidelines (These guidelines are the minimum requirements in the absence of a local flood plain bylaw).
- APEG Professional Practice Guidelines - Legislated Flood Assessments in BC
- Guidance For Selection of Qualified Professionals and Preparation of Flood Hazard Assessment Reports
Changes to an approved Development Permit may require a Development Permit Amendment Application to be submitted. For more information, please contact the Development Services Department at 847-1600.