Dog Licensing & Control
All dogs over 4 months of age in the Town of Smithers are required to be licensed. Licenses assist in identifying a dog should it be lost, impounded, injured, etc. In addition, the license database allows the Town of Smithers to identify potentially dangerous or aggressive dogs.
Dog licenses can be purchased at the Town of Smithers Office (1027 Aldous Street) and expire on December 31st of each year. License fees are as follows:
- $15 for a spayed or neutered dog (certificate signed by a veterinarian required).
- $50 for a dog that is NOT spayed or neutered.
- $150 for an aggressive dog.
- $300 for a dangerous dog.
Dog owners are responsible for complying with the Bylaw No. 1780 Animal Control and Licencing, which specifies basic dog care standards and owner responsibilities. Examples include:
- Providing basic food, water, shelter, sanitation and health;
- Proper care of aggressive or dangerous dogs;
- Leashing when in public and maintaining control of the dog at all times;
- Cleaning up after the dog.
The Bylaw No. 1780 Animal Control and Licencing, outlines fees for noncompliance. Typically this includes impoundment fees, dogs not on a leash or running at large, owner's failing to clean up after their dog and poor care/sanitation conditions.