Open Burning Within the Town of Smithers
Campfires and bonfires (including backyard open fires) are not permitted in the Town of Smithers, except for small fires for cooking purposes only, using cured wood in proper firepits.
The Town of Smithers Open Burning Bylaw No. 1155 prohibits any open burning of domestic waste, garden refuse, garbage, land clearing or noxious materials within the municipal limits of the Town of Smithers.
Open Burning in Rural Areas
Anyone conducting an outdoor burn must adhere to the following:
- Obtain a burn registration number: call 1-888-797-1717 or email HPR.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Comply with the Ministry of Environment’s Open Burning Smoke Control Regulations
- Check the Ministry of Environment’s Ventilation index @ 250-847-1689
- Before a fire is ignited have water supply, tools and/or machinery on hand.
- Make sure the fire is always attended with personal.
- Comply with any open fire prohibitions https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status/fire-bans-and-restrictions
- Alert local authorities (Smithers Fire Rescue)