How to Prepare in the Event of an Emergency
#2017-05 For Immediate Release
July 11, 2017
Preparing for an emergency is important and something everyone should do. Here are three simple steps to help prepare your family to face a range of emergencies:
1. Have an emergency kit – Be prepared to be self-sufficient for at least 72 hours. Your kit should include:
- 3 day supply of water & non-perishable food (for every person and pet)
- flashlight & batteries
- battery-powered or wind-up AM/FM radio
- first aid kit
- seasonal clothing & footwear
- toiletries & medications
- cell phone, charger & out of area contact card
- local maps & cash in small bills
- copies of important documents
2. Make a plan – Every household needs an emergency plan. It will help you and your family know what to do if disaster strikes. Make a plan, share it with your family and practice your plan.
3. Stay informed – In an event of an emergency, listen to local radio. Information on where to gather and safe routes of exit will be shared on the radio, online media and the Town website www.smithers.ca
Information on how to make an emergency plan and suggestions for what goes into a basic kit, can be found on the Prepared BC website at www.gov.bc.ca/PreparedBC.
For more information, contact Smithers Fire Rescue at 250-847-2015.
Thank you for being prepared!
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Smithers Fire Rescue