Smithers New Arena
4204 Third Avenue
4202 Third Avenue
Please contact the Recreation Coordinator about ice bookings and dry floor bookings at firstname.lastname@example.org | 250-847-1600.
- Regular Arena Fee: $212.30/hour
- Discounted Arena Fee: $106.15/hour
- Last Minute (within 7 days): $106.15/hour
Liability insurance will be required on all ice rentals. This can be purchased through: https://miabc.eventpolicy.ca/ or through a local broker.
The New Arena will be closing for the season on Saturday, March 26th 2022. The Civic Centre will follow and close on Wednesday, March 30th 2022.
Public Skating is currently postponed while we look for qualified Skate Patrol Staff, if you or someone you know is interested, please contact the Town of Smithers.
Please consult the Recreation Programs website for a full listing of upcoming Special Events.
All bookings through email@example.com
ARENA USER FEES:
Town of Smithers Special Event Application Process
1. Download the Special Event Application Form for any public events held on Town of Smithers’ owned land, streets, sidewalks, parks, and/or buildings.
2. Liability insurance for your event can be obtained online by following the link: https://miabc.eventpolicy.ca or at your local insurance providers.
3. Email the completed application form, liability insurance, and any additional materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Once the event is sanctioned, the Recreation Coordinator will notify the event organizer by email or phone and provide any necessary information or comments.
5. Please view the following additional information:
- Special Event Request - Information *updated Feb 2022
- Policy ADM-035 Alcohol at Special Events on Municipl Property
- Highway Use Permit
Photo credit: Dan Mesec
Recreation Contract Instructor Opportunities
Are you interested in an opportunity to instruct an affordable recreation program, sport, or activity?
The Town of Smithers Recreation Department is looking to coordinate contract instructors who are passionate locals in their field and would like to lead drop-in sports, programs, or activities. We currently have facilities available for sports, workout programs, workshops etc. Postings for current and upcoming available opportunities are located below. For new program proposals please submit a resume and a brief summary of the program to email@example.com. We want to hear from you! All current COVID-19 restrictions and guidelines will apply.
Current Recreation Contract Instructor Opportunities:
Skate Patrol Attendants
Skate Patrol Attendants supervise skaters prior to, during and after public skating times, ensuring participants’ safety. This position also helps participants with skate assists, skate equipment, and maintains the skate equipment room in an orderly fashion. This contract runs four days a week from November 2021 – March 2022. This contract can be an excellent position for adolescents to acquire interpersonal skills, credibility, and diligence. It can also be a gratifying contract for adults or retirees with a passion for skating!
The shifts are typically anywhere from 2-10 hours/week ranging from the morning to early evening.
Billable Hours: 2hrs/session
Wage: $17/hour (must be 15+)
Submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of your email must be the job title you are applying for.
The Town of Smithers is looking for enthusiastic Fitness Instructors to provide a welcoming atmosphere for all levels of fitness. This contract would be best for any Fitness Instructor who is motivated to share their passion of health and wellness with others.
Billable Hours: determined by length of program
Wage: determined by the Town of Smithers and the Fitness Instructor on a cost recovery basis.
Please submit your resume to email@example.com. The subject of your email must be the job title you are applying for.
The nature of any position with the Town of Smithers is public service. It is expected that all contractors be prepared to commit to the high standards of the department in this regard. It is essential that all contractors associated with the Town of Smithers, whether for a short term special event or an instructional program of several weeks or months in duration, recognize individual responsibility to excellence in serving the public. All contractors shall be courteous and friendly in the delivery of the program.
Town of Smithers Recreation Contact:
Contact: Reilly Henderson, Recreation Coordinator
Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm
Town of Smithers
1027 Aldous Street | PO Box 879 | Smithers, BC V0J 2N0
Biking in Smithers
Biking is a fun and convenient way to get around Smithers. It is also one of the cleanest and most energy efficient forms of transportation. While bikes are permitted on all streets, the Bike Route Map provides a system of connected and convenient routes to get around town. For example, the entire length of 3rd Avenue (2.5 km) is a designated bike route with a reduced 30 km/hr speed limit, bicycle signage and painted sharrows (share the road symbols) to increase cyclist safety and driver awareness.
Please click on the photo to watch the "Tips for Safe Cycling"
Bike Safety Tips & Regulations
It is important to remember that the Motor Vehicle Act and Town bylaws apply to cyclists too.
- Ride on the road (not on the sidewalk) and wear your helmet at all times.
- Make sure your bike and helmet are in good working order (especially the brakes).
- Have front and rear lights on your bike if you ride at dusk, night or in low visibility conditions.
- Keep a safe distance from the curb and parked cars.
- Ride predictably, in a straight line, and be defensive. Remember, a conflict between a bicycle and a vehicle usually results in injury to the cyclist.
- Stop for stop signs and red lights, and always yield to pedestrians.
- Be alert and careful at intersections, where most collisions happen.
- Always ride with traffic, on the right side of the road.
- Read BC Bike Sense, a comprehensive BC guide to operating a bike in traffic.
The Perimeter Trail is the main multi-use pathway in Smithers. It forms a 10 km circular trail around the edge of Town with connections to trails and recreation areas beyond the Town boundary. All forms of non-motorized transportation, including bikes, are permitted on multi-use pathways. Remember that you are sharing the path with others. Reduce your speed where appropriate and when passing other path users, ring your bell or call out to alert them.
Highway 16 Intersections
Use care when crossing the busy intersections of Hwy 16. Either ride in the lane or if you are not comfortable, dismount and walk your bike across at the crosswalk. The routes on the Bike Route Map highlight the preferred intersections for cyclists.
Public bike racks are available throughout downtown Smithers, parks and at public facilities. Remember to always lock up your bike!
Stop by the Prevention and Community Safety Office at 3772B 1st Avenue for free bike safety pointers. All ages are welcome. Free helmet replacements and high visibility accessories are available as supplies last.
2021 Fairgrounds Schedule of Events:
Click here to download:
- 2021 Fairgrounds Schedule of Events *Updated November 1, 2021
- Fairgrounds Event Form (COVID-19 Update) *Updated July 2021
- Routine Event Liability Information Sheet
Fairground User and Licensees Information:
- Annual Letter to Users and Licensees of the Fall Fairgrounds
- Open Burning
- Installation and/or Modification of Fall Fairgrounds Water and Sewer Systems
- Building Permit Requirements
- Building Permit Application Guide (adapted for Fall Fairgrounds' license areas)
- Bylaw No. 1609 - Fireworks
Smithers RV Storage:
Click here to learn more about Winter Storage of Recreational Vehicles and Boats.
Town of Smithers Fairgrounds Business and Land Use Plan Update
- Final Report - Fairgrounds Business and Land Use Plan 2013
- Report PR13-11 "Fairgrounds Business and Land Use Plan Update"
- Bob Yates Delegation Presentation to Council regarding the Fairgrounds Business and Land Use Plan
- Bob Yates Delegation to Council regarding the Fairgrounds Business and Land Use Plan, excerpt from CICK Radio 93.9
The Town of Smithers owns a fantastic parcel of land, which is utilized by many groups from Smithers, the surrounding communities of the Bulkley Valley and from around the province. The Fall Fair Management Committee meets three times per year and oversees the booking requests and capital upgrades requests for the Town owned property.
License agreements with the Bulkley Valley Agricultural & Industrial Association, the Northern Saddle Club, and Lease agreement with the Bulkley Valley Bowmen (Archery Grounds) provide the opportunity for local groups to offer workshops, rodeos, training sessions, children's activities, and more.
The Smithers Fairgrounds are home to the Bulkley Valley Exhibition (Fall Fair), the Bulkley Valley Folk Music Festival (Midsummer Festival), the 3 in 1 Breed Show, and the Annual Archery Shoot. All of these events gather together thousands of participants and spectators from all over British Columbia and Western Canada.
Located at 2701 Pacific Street, corner of Tatlow Road and Pacific Street.
Rodeo Ring at the Fall Fairgrounds.
Hunter Jumper / Dressage Ring at the Fall Fairgrounds.
Riverside Municipal Campground
3843 - 19th Avenue, Smithers, BC
Campground open May 15th - September 29th, 2022
Reservations for the 2022 Campground Season are now open! Please note, you will need to make an online account in order to make a campground reservation.
Recreation, Parks & Culture
If you are looking to utilize the Town of Smithers facilities, whether seasonally or for single use, please download and fill out the form below. The filled out form can be returned to the Town of Smithers main office, or to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Town of Smithers has the following facilities available for public rentals:
- Bovill Square
- Chandler Park Fields
- Elks Park Ball Diamonds
- Riverside Municipal RV Park & Campground
For a detailed schedule of rental fees and information, please see:
Playgrounds & Parks
Town of Smithers - Playgrounds & Parks Guide
- Click here to view the PDF document of the Town of Smithers - Playgrounds & Parks Guide
The Town of Smithers maintains two public tennis courts located on Montreal Street. No fee.
Trail length: 13km
Difficulty: Easy – Family friendly!
The 13km Perimeter Trail is a scenic trail which connects neighbourhoods, streets, rivers, and parks together within the community of Smithers. This trail circles the Town, connecting the north end of town near the Bulkey River, to the south end of town which lies below Hudson Bay Mountain. The trail provides viewing benches to watch the beautiful surrounding scenery, while meandering through local parks which provide the use of outhouses, picnic tables and opportunities for various diverse types of recreation. Many of the best scenic highlights are found along the Bulkley River and throughout Riverside Park. Please see the map below to find out how to access this trail.
View from trail section along Railway Avenue.
|View from trail section around wetlands off of Pacific Avenue.|
|View from trail section at Riverside Municipal Campground along the Bulkley River.||
Another view from trail section at Riverside Municipal Campground along the Bulkley River
View from trail section at Highway 16 and Chicken Creek on the west side of the Town of Smithers.
View from trail section at Highway 16 and Dahlie Creek on east side of the Town of Smithers.
Community Recreation Directory
To list your non-profit recreation group or edit your information, please contact Reilly Henderson, Recreation Coordinator at email@example.com
- BV Disc Golf Association
- Bulkley Valley Farmers Market
- Bulkley Valley Folk Music Society
- BV Nordic Centre
- BV Otters Swim Club
- Bulkley Valley Pickleball
- BV Regional Pool and Recreation Centre
- BV Soccer Society
- Bulkley Valley Tennis
- Bulkey Valley Youth Sport Foundation
- Creative Roots Performing Arts
- Dze Ḻ K’ant Friendship Centre
- Music Smithers
- Northern Roots Community Garden
- Northern Saddle Club
- Office of the Wet’suwet’en
- Shogun Dojo Martial Arts
- Smithers 1st Group - Scouts Canada
- Smithers Bikes
- Smithers Curling Club
- Smithers Figure Skating Club
- Smithers Judo
- Smithers Junior Golf
- Smithers Junior Softball
- Smithers Minor Hockey
- Smithers Mountain Bike Association
- Smithers Saltos Gymnastics Club
- Smithers Ski and Snowboard Club
- Smithers Ultimate Frisbee
Recreation Funding Opportunities
Athletics 4 Kids Application
|Kidsport Canada Application|
RECREATION REGISTRATION PAYMENT
We accept payment by cash, cheque, Interac, Visa or Mastercard. If you are paying by cheque, please make it payable to the Town of Smithers. There will be a $40.00 charge levied for NSF cheques.
No refunds will be granted once a program commences unless a class is cancelled or in exceptional cases involving sickness or relocation. In these cases refunds will be pro rated. Contact the Recreation, Parks, and Culture Department if you require more information on our refund policy.
Registration and Programming Policies
- Registration is on a first come, first served basis.
- Payment in full must be made at the time of registration.
- No refunds will be granted unless a class is cancelled or in exceptional cases involving sickness or relocation. In these cases refunds will be pro rated.
- The Recreation, Parks, and Culture Department reserves the right to cancel any course which does not meet the required minimum registration.
- Classes will not be held on statutory holidays.
Town of Smithers
Box 879, Smithers BC, V0J 2N0