As established by Section.9 of the British Columbia Accessibility Act (BCAA), the mandate of the Smithers Accessibility Committee is to work collaboratively with the Town of Smithers Council and staff and the public to assess and improve community accessibility and inclusion with focus on the experiences of people with disabilities.
The Committee will provide advice on:
- Preparing an organizational Accessibility Plan for the Town; this will involve identifying and providing recommendations to prevent / remove barriers that limit the full participation of individuals with disabilities while interacting with the Town in various ways, including but not limited to, service delivery, built environment, information and communication, transportation, and employment;
- Establishing a mechanism to receive, review, and respond to public feedback on accessibility-related issues;
- Policies and programs to ensure that the needs of current and future residents with disabilities are considered and to educate and inform public on matters affecting residents with disabilities;
- Drafting and implementing the periodic reviews and updates of the Town’s Accessibility Plan;
- referrals from the Town Council, Library Board, and Committees of Council;
- initiatives that will improve accessibility and inclusion in Smithers; and
- accessibility and inclusivity within Town departments, municipal events, and Town operations.
The Town is currently seeking applications to sit on the Committee. More information can be obtained here.
Director - Smithers Public Library | Director of Development Services | Director of Operations
The role of the Advisory Planning Commission (APC) is to represent the Community's interest in planning-related issues affecting the Town of Smithers.
Colin Bruintjes | Allan Cormier | Tamara Gillis |
Bob Mitchell | Andrew Schibli | Donald Stewart | RCMP
Councillor Sam Raven | Councillor Frank Wray (Alternate)
Chief Administrative Officer | Director of Development Services | Planner
The Board of Variance (BOV) for the Town of Smithers is an appointed body that has the authority to grant minor variances to certain provisions of Town Bylaws. The BOV is a quasi-judicial body separate from the local government with its own authority under the Local Government Act.
Phil Brienesse | Abby Morgan | Floyd Krishan
This is a Committee of all Council members which deals with matters in a less formal manner than at a Regular Council meeting. Matters are not formally adopted but recommendations are made to a subsequent meeting of Council at which time the recommendations of the Committee are normally adopted and acted on.
Mayor, Chair | All Council
Chief Administrative Officer | Department Heads (as required)
This is a committee established by agreement between the Town of Smithers and the Bulkley Valley Agricultural and Industrial Association – BVAIA The committee makes recommendations to Council respecting any additions or improvements to the lands or the issuance of new licences in the Fall Fair Grounds. In addition, the committee controls access to other licensed areas on the grounds and resolves conflicts between licensees over the non-exclusive use of any licensed area.
Patty Peterson, Chair
Ian Lawson | Charlie McClary
Councillor Genevieve Paterson | Councillor Frank Wray | Mayor Gladys Atrill (Alternate)
Town Staff Advisory:
Director of Community Services
The Town of Smithers is a member Municipality of the Regional District of Bulkley Nechako. Meetings are held monthly in Burns Lake.
Town of Smithers Representatives:
Mayor Gladys Atrill | Councillor Frank Wray (alternate)
This is a board made up of appointees by Council, who oversee the operation of the Public Library. Council has a representative on the Library Board as required under the Library Act.
Councillor Calvin Elliott, Liaison | Smithers Public Library Board Members