Certain properties in the Town of Smithers are designated as Development Permit Areas (DPA). The Official Community Plan contains guidelines and requirements for the two types of DPAs in Smithers: Environmental and Form & Character. For properties located within a DPA, a Development Permit (DP) may be required prior to subdividing land or obtaining a Building Permit.
- Gerneral Overview of Development Permit Areas (excerpt from the Official Community Plan)
- Development Process Flowchart
Form & Character Development Permit Areas
- Form and Character DPA Overview & Guidelines (excerpt from the Official Community Plan)
- Map of Form and Character DPA
- Form and Character DP Application Guide
- Form and Character DP Application
- Alpine Theme Guidelines
Environmental Development Permit Areas
- Environmental DPA Overview & Guideline (excerpt from the Official Community Plan)
- Map of Environmental DPA
- Environmental DP Application Guide
- Environmental DP Application
Changes to an approved Development Permit may require a Development Permit Amendment Application to be submitted. For more information, please contact the Development Services Department at 847-1600.