The Town of Smithers Municipal Cemetery is located at 1958 Dominion Street Smithers. It has been serving the Public since April 16, 1921.
The Town provides the following options and services to the public. For detailed prices see Schedule "A" Cemetery Fees below.
- Regular Burial 1.5 x 3m (5 x 10ft).
- Double depth burial, which allows a second burial in regular plot.
- Cremation plot, which allows for two urns in one plot.
- Cremation in existing plot, which allows for 4 additional cremains in a regular plot.
- Columbarium, which allows two urns per niche.
- Placement of memorial plaques on columbarium niches.
- Installation of memorials on grave plots.
Bylaw No. 1565 Cemetery - Consolidated March 2009
Bylaw No. 1817 Cemetery Fees and Charges (2018-2020)
Bylaw No. 1565 Cemetery - Schedule B "Interment Right Contract"
Bylaw No. 1565 Cemetery - Schedule C "Interment Authorization"
The Town does not provide:
- Memorial grave markers.
- Plaques for columbarium.
Funeral Home service.
These must be obtained elsewhere. The Town of Smithers only installs the memorials and plaques.
Rules of the Cemetery
(See Bylaw No. 1565 above for complete information)
- Only human remains or cremated remains (cremains) shall be interred in the cemetery.
- It shall be unlawful for any person to cremate or bury a deceased person within the limits of the Town of Smithers except as authorized under the terms of the Cremation, Internment, and Funeral Services Act and the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act and the Regulations made thereunder.
- The Smithers Cemetery reserves the right, without prior notice, to remove any memorial product, personal memento, decoration or floral tributes which do not comply with the cemetery Bylaw and Regulations.
- No grave shall be dug, or opened, nor grave marker installed, by any person other than persons duly authorized by the Director of Development Services.
- No curbs or upright memorials will be permitted, and no grave or grave space shall be defined by a fence, railing, coping, hedge, or by other marking except by an approved memorial marker, tablet or monument.
- Memorials and markers must be laid flat with the ground level. Memorials and markers for cremated remains shall not exceed 450 x 450 mm in size and memorial markers for regular burial plots shall be between 500 x 300 x 75 mm (20 x 12 x 3 in) and 900 x 400 x 75 mm (36 X 16 X 3 in) or as otherwise designated by the Director of Development Services.
- Cut flowers, wreath and floral offerings may be placed on graves but may be removed when their condition is considered to be detrimental to the beauty of the cemetery.
- No person shall plant, remove, cut down or destroy any trees, shrubs, plants, flowers, bulbs or rocks in the cemetery other than an employee of the Town authorized to do so.
Hours of Operation & Contact Information
Open daily to public pedestrian traffic from 7:30am-4:30pm. The vehicle gate may be opened upon special request for visitors with disabilities.
The chief duties of the Works and Operations Department are maintenance of the cemetery and installation of graves and memorial markers. Please contact the Operations Supervisor from 7:30am-3:30pm at 250-847-1645.
The chief duties of the Development Services Department are capital planning, design and recordkeeping of the cemetery. Please contact the Engineering & Planning Technician from 8:30am-4:30pm at 250-847-1600.